Recipe by Karen=^..^=
This is a yummy cake to make for any occasion. It takes a tiny bit more effort than most cakes, but it is worth it.
Top Review by KitchenManiac
Ok...I am committing the worse sin possible! I am rating one of Karen's recipes a 4 star instead of her usual and so deserved 5 star and more rating. I must admit I am being a little hard on karen. The benchmark for her recipes are always outstanding, and I am one of her biggest fan. And the reason why i am rating it 4 instead of 5 star is because, I found the glaze a little too much trouble for the actual outcome of the cake. Overall the cake is extremely simple to make, and it taste really good, BUT the glaze really was not worth that much of effort or time. Next time, i will just melt a little bit of chocolate and drizzle it on, OR just use some hershey chocolate sauce. It would work just as well, and eating the cake, you can't really tell the difference if you had just used a chocolate sauce. But overall other than that (and yes I am being extremely critical) this was a good cake. the melted marshmellows on the top went very well with the cake visually and taste wise. Thank you karen.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) package mini marshmallows, divided
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- For Cake: Over a double boiler or in microwave, melt chocolate and butter.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, salt, powder and soda and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, applesauce and vanilla and beat well.
- Stir in chocolate mixture.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Measure 1/2 cup marshmallows and set aside for drizzled glaze.
- Sprinkle the remaining marshmallows evenly over cake.
- Bake for 2 more minutes or until marshmallows start to soften.
- Drizzled Glaze: Combine milk, butter and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup marshmallows and chocolate chips until completely melted.
- Drizzle over cake quickly and fancily.
- Allow to cool completely.