This is a yummy cake to make for any occasion. It takes a tiny bit more effort than most cakes, but it is worth it.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) package mini marshmallows, divided
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For Cake: Over a double boiler or in microwave, melt chocolate and butter.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, salt, powder and soda and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, applesauce and vanilla and beat well.
- Stir in chocolate mixture.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Measure 1/2 cup marshmallows and set aside for drizzled glaze.
- Sprinkle the remaining marshmallows evenly over cake.
- Bake for 2 more minutes or until marshmallows start to soften.
- Drizzled Glaze: Combine milk, butter and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup marshmallows and chocolate chips until completely melted.
- Drizzle over cake quickly and fancily.
- Allow to cool completely.