Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The traditional birthday cake in our family. The cherries are a nice surprise when you take a bite of this chocolate cake. I add any nuts I have on hand but almonds are my personal favorite! When making a layer cake be sure to use parchment paper or the layers will break when you try to flip them out.
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 28.34 g unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 118.29 ml nuts, chopped
- 414.03 ml cake flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 141.74 g cherries, chopped include juice
- Grease and flour pans (9x13 or 2 8" round pans).
- Sift flour and soda.
- cream butter and sugar.
- add egg, melted chocolate nuts and cherries and juice to creamed mixture.
- add dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately.
- Pour into pans
- Bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes.
- Frost with Ganache.
Forgot to rate it in my earlier review
Absolutley loved it. My co-workers loved it also! It is simple, easy and the cherries really give it a nice taste. Thanks for posting this!
Deb, I LOVE this cake. Just made it today and tried a few hours ago. It's soft as a feather! I used cake flour; don't know if it makes a difference. This is going to be my birthday cake next year! Thanks for sharing!