Recipe by DebS #2
The traditional birthday cake in our family. The cherries are a nice surprise when you take a bite of this chocolate cake. I add any nuts I have on hand but almonds are my personal favorite! When making a layer cake be sure to use parchment paper or the layers will break when you try to flip them out.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 ounces cherries, chopped include juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour pans (9x13 or 2 8" round pans).
- Sift flour and soda.
- cream butter and sugar.
- add egg, melted chocolate nuts and cherries and juice to creamed mixture.
- add dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately.
- Pour into pans
- Bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes.
- Frost with Ganache.