1 hr 30 mins
This trifle is super, yummy, with chocolate, mascarpone custard, amaretto and mandarins.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 single trifle sponge cakes
- 14 amaretti cookies or 14 almond cookies
- 1/4 cup Amaretto, di saronno or 1/4 cup sweet sherry
- 8 mandarin oranges
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into squares
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1Break up the trifle sponges and place them in a large glass serving dish. Crumble the amaretti cookies over them and then sprinkle with amaretto or sweet sherry.
- 2Squeeze the juice from 2 of the mandarins and sprinkle into the dish. Segment the rest and out them in the dish.
- 3Make the custard. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over hot water. In a Seperate bowl mix the cornstarch, sugar and egg yolks to a smooth paste.
- 4Heat the milk in a small saucepan until almost boiling then pour in a steady stream onto the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly. Return to the clean pan and stir over low heat until the custard has thickened slightly and is smooth.
- 5Stir in the mascarpone until melted, then add the melted chocolate, mixing it thoroughly. Spread evenly over the trifle, cool, then chill until set.
- 6To finish, spread the fromage frais over the custard, then decorate with chocolate shapes and remaining mandarin slices just before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Mandarin Trifle
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.6
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 162.3 mg
- Sodium 70.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 22.8 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
single trifle sponge cakes