Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 mins
I hope you like this recipe it has been kid approved (by a 8 & 12 year old)! If you like chocolate and can eat a container of malt balls then this is the cookie for you. (come on I can't be the ONLY one) LOL
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup instant malted milk powder (Ovaltine etc)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (1 stick with 3 extra tbs)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups malted milk balls, coarsely chopped (I use Whoppers, 6 oz in total)
- 1 cup chocolate chips or 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift together flour, malted milk powder, cocoa, baking powder and salt set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed for 3 minutes, until very smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each one.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Reduce mixer to low add 1/2 of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour in the milk & mix.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- **The batter will look more like frosting than cookie dough.**.
- Put mixer on low or mix by hand the malt balls and the chocolate chips/chunks or whatever you are using. I prefer doing this by hand.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons 2" apart.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, when cookies are done they will be puffed and slightly soft to the touch.
- Let cool for 2 minutes then place on cooling rack.
- Cookies freeze well up to 2 months.
These cookies are great if you're a chocolate lover. I first found the recipe in "Baking From my Home to Yours" by Dorie Greenspan. A huge hit.
I actually came across this recipe for the first time at a cookie making class that I recently took. I loved it so much I was searching on-line for a picture to add it to my personal cookbook of favorite recipes and I came across this same version. This is really a fantastic cookie! I LOVE malt and this is one of the best uses of malt in a cookie that I have found!
This is certainly one for the kids, they just loved them! I guess the fact that they are toothachingly sweet helps a bit !!