Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are generous decadent sandwich cookies made with crispy chewy chocolate rounds and a fluffy creamy chocolae filling whose idea came from a popular T.G.I Friday's chocolate-malt cake..enjoy!!
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened american-style cocoa powder, sift if lumpy
- 2 tablespoons plain instant malted milk powder (not chocolate flavored)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1⁄3 cup corn oil or 1⁄3 cup other flavorless vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 2⁄3 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened slightly, cut into chunks
- 1⁄4 cup tbsps milk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- preheat oven to 350*.grease several baking sheets or coat with on stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, cocoa powder, malted milk powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- in a large bowl, with electric mixer on medium, beat together sugar, butter and oil till well blended. Add the sour cream, egg and vanilla and beat until well blended, the mixture may look curdled. Beat in half of the flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl often. Beat in 3 tbls hot water, then beat or stir in remaining flour mixture until evenly incorporated. Drop the dough onto baking sheets using a 1/8th cup measure or coffee scoop, about 2 1/2" apart. Using a lightly greased hand, pat down the tops just slightly.Bake the cookies one sheet at a time, in the middle of the oven for 10-12 minutes or until tops begin to flatten and the cookies are just barely firm in the centers. Reverse sheet from front to back halfway through baking.and let stand until the cookies are slightly firm. about 3 minutes. using a spatula, transfer cookies to wire racks, let stand until completely cooled.
- in a medium, microsafe bowl, microwave the chocolate morsels and butter on 100% power for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir well, Continue microwaving on 50% power, stirring at 30 second intervals. Stop microwaving before chocolate is completely melted and let residual heat melt chocolate.or you can put chocolate in small heavy saucepan over lowest heat, stirring frequently, be careful not to burn, immediately remove from heat, cool to warm. In a large bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the malted milk powder and cream cheese till well blended and completely smooth.Beat in half of the chocolate mixture just until incorporated. Beat in the milk, 1 tbls at a time, until well blended. Beat in the remaining chocolate mixture and the vanilla until well blended.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.or somewhat thickened, but not stiff.
- Beat the filling on high speed until light in color and very fluffy -- about 3 minutes more, scrape down sides of bowl several times.
- Spread about 2 1/2 tbls of the filling on underside of half of the cookies, top with second cookie about the same size. press two together until the filling squeezes out the edge.
- Let stand for at least 5 minute so that the flavors can mingle before serving.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month.