Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the first recipe I've tried out of my new cookbook, A New Way To Cook. It turned out great. I loved chocolate malt balls and the malted flavor in general. The malted milk powder also helps to keep the creamy texture even though you are using 1% lowfat milk.
- In a small bowl, blend 1/2 cup of milk with the cornstarch.
- Combine the malted milk powder, cocoa and salt in a small heavy saucepan and slowly whisk in the remaining 3-1/2 cups of milk, the chocolate and the sugar. Heat over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture.
- Cook, stirring frequently, over very low heat until very thick and just beginning to boil, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Let cool, stirring occasionally until the custard is just warm.
- Pour the pudding into small 1/2 c bowls.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set.
- You can make this up to 3 days in advance.
my family and i loved this. we are big malt fans. we love malted milk balls and malteds at the ice cream stand. i will definitely make this again.
This pudding was just not sweet enough for us. Plus, we couldn't taste the malt. Sorry about the 3 stars :(. In theory, this recipe sounds good. We were just disappointed.
I just tried this recipe out of A New Way To Cook and was very pleased with it. It is rich and very chocolatey. I love the malt flavor, but if you don't care for it you can omit it to make a classic chocolate pudding. Thanks for posting it here.