Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Adapted Taste of Home. These cookies are simply delicious. My DH especially likes the malted flavor in them. I substitute freshly ground whole grain flour for the all-purpose. **PLEASE NOTE**. If you substitute store-bought wheat flour for part of the all-purpose, you do not need to add the additional amount of flour - just use the same amount as all-purpose.
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup instant malted milk powder
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or 1 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 1/4 cup freshly ground soft wheat flour or 1 cup oat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the shortening, brown sugar, malted milk powder, chocolate syrup and vanilla for 2 minutes.
- Add egg.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate chunks and chips.
- Shape into 2-in. balls; place 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.