Recipe by Lalaloob
My friend Bob, his cousin Dee Dee, shared this (according to Bob) to-die-for cake on his recent visit to the Palm Coast of Florida.
Top Review by Rock Star Mama
i'm only rating the frosting b/c i didn't make the cake (just being lazy) follow this to the letter & it will be AMAZING. my 6-year old son actually said "mommy this frosting is fabulous". i thought that was pretty hilarious. then he said "don't ever make anything different, always make this frosting". it is very unique, it basically tastes like an old-time malt whipped into fluffy frosting that slightly hardens to the touch, which reminds me of bakery quality.
- 1 (18 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 cup chocolate malt powder (Ovaltine)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup chocolate malt powder
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat 2 cake pans with cooking spray.
- On low speed mix ingredients except chips.
- On medium speed beat until fluffy.
- Add 1/2 cup chips.
- Divide batter into pans and sprinkle with remaining chips.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes and then remove from pans and cool completely.
- Heat milk and stir in malt powder. Cool completely.
- On medium speed beat butter until fluffy. Alternately, beat in sugar and malted milk.
- Frost cakes.