Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
My fiance and I love the flavor of malt (malt ice cream cups at Wrigley Field ... mmmm!), and these chocolate bar cookies are really a treat! It's a cinch to whip up a batch, but not as easy to stop eating them!
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate malt powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate malt powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease an 8x8" square baking pan.
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate in a microwave or over a double-boiler.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until fluffy and light.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Combine the flour, 1/2 cup chocolate malt powder, baking powder and salt; stir into the chocolate mixture and then spread evenly in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Let bars cool in the pan before frosting.
- For the frosting: cream together butter, 1/4 cup chocolate malt powder, and salt.
- Beat in the confectioners sugar and heavy cream gradually until smooth and spreadable.
- Frost cooled bar cookies before cutting.
These were amazing. I used regular malt powder instead of the chocolate kind. The frosting was so good and I will use it for other desserts. Thank you.