Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The magical three layer cake, with the silky custard interior, is a luxurious feat that is so easy to make.
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 110 g butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups milk, lukewarm
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, for dusting
- Separate egg whites and yolks. Mix and combine flour and cocoa powder.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar for 4 minutes until creamy and pale yellow.
- Add melted butter and vanilla extract and mix for half a minute.
- Add the flour and unsweetened cocoa powder. Mix with a spatula until incorporated well.
- Pour the milk gradually and continue beating.
- Beat egg whites in a bowl until stiff and add one third at a time to the cake batter, gently stir with a spatula after each addition. Don't overmix, just stir a few times.
- Pour the liquid batter into the 30x17cm baking pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Let it cool and when it comes to room temperature chill in a refrigerator for an hour. Slice it in the size you like and dust with powdered sugar right before serving.