Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Madeleines are good any time, any where. The chocolate version is guaranteed to please! I love to dip mine in coffee or tea. This recipe came from Epicurious.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- butter, for buttering the madeleine tins
- Sift together the flour, cocoa and salt.
- Place the eggs and the sugar in a large bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until thick and lemon colored.
- Fold in the flour, then the melted butter.
- Butter the madeleine pans with a pastry brush, then spoon in the batter, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Refrigerate the filled madeleine pans and the remaining batter for one hour.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake the madeleines just until they are firm and puffed, about 7 minutes.
- Turn them immediately from the molds, wipe out the molds, let cool and continue baking the madeleines until all of the batter is used.
- The madeleines are best when eaten slightly warm or at room temperature the same day they are made.
These turned out very good - light, moist and buttery. It may have been the cocoa I used, but I didn't think they were so very chocolaty, but that is fine with me. They were also extremely easy to make. I beat the egg and sugar with an hand electric mixer until very thick. The color became quite light, and didn't really remind me of lemons, but it seemed to work in the end. I enjoyed making these, and I'm sure my family will love eating them. My molds were a little big - I halved the recipe, and should have gotten 18, but got 12. I also baked them longer. I lined the molds with baking paper. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.
My daughter was doing a report on France so we made these as a little extra something... (brownie points! LOL) The batter was a snap to put together, baking them was a long process but sooo worth it!! I did make them in a mini madeleine pan and baked them for about 4-5 mins. Thanks for posting!