Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Found this recipe the other day and havent made it in years....guess what I'm doingthis weekend! Fancy looking cake, especially when cut...
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 package devil's food cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- For macaroon, whip eggs whites and extract until frothy in a small mixer bowl.
- Gradually add sugar and beat at hgih speed until peaks are slightly rounded.
- Mix in coconut and flour.
- For cake, combine cake mix, oil, water, yolks and egg in large mixing bowl.
- Mix 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Spread half of mix in greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- spoon macarooon in a ring on top of batter.
- Carefully cover with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350 for 55-65 minutes or until toothpick is clean.
- Cool in pan 25 minutes and invert on serving plate.
- Blend remaining ingredients together for glaze until desired consistency.
- Spoon over cooled cake.
The bundt cake turned out very tasty, nice and high with about 1/2 inch of macaroon which followed the dome shape of the pan about an inch from the top. The cake did not shrink after baking. The macaroon filling tasted great!! MODIFICATIONS: I finely ground the coconut and next time I make the cake, I will try making 1 1/2 batches of the macaroon filling and spooning it on top instead of in the middle. I'm trying to emulate Pilsbury's Bundt Choc./Macaroon cake(the filling stayed as a tunnel in the middle) that I don't believe is manufactured anymore: It used to be one of my favorites! I will definely bake it again. Rhonda Erickson, Wisconsin