Recipe by Derf
By request, have not tried, but they sound luscious!
Top Review by Divinemom5
These were very good.Tasted like an Almond Joy candy bar.Chewy and moist.The only thing I would change would be to sprinkle an additional cup of chocolate chips on the top,1 cup wasn't enough,I was tearing the cake as I tried to spread it.
- 4 unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups coconut, flake type
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate and shortening together in large saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar, salt,vanilla and eggs.
- Mix well.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Spread half of batter evenly in greased 13x9 cake pan.
- Mix filling ingredients together thoroughly.
- Spread evenly over chocolate batter.
- Carefully cover with remaining chocolate batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chips.
- Let stand about 1 minute to soften, spread evenly to cover.
- Sprinkle with almonds, pressing in lightly.
- Chill to set chocolate before cutting.