Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
By request, have not tried, but they sound luscious!
Make and share this Chocolate Macaroon Bars recipe from Food.com.
- Melt chocolate and shortening together in large saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar, salt,vanilla and eggs.
- Mix well.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Spread half of batter evenly in greased 13x9 cake pan.
- Mix filling ingredients together thoroughly.
- Spread evenly over chocolate batter.
- Carefully cover with remaining chocolate batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chips.
- Let stand about 1 minute to soften, spread evenly to cover.
- Sprinkle with almonds, pressing in lightly.
- Chill to set chocolate before cutting.
These were very good.Tasted like an Almond Joy candy bar.Chewy and moist.The only thing I would change would be to sprinkle an additional cup of chocolate chips on the top,1 cup wasn't enough,I was tearing the cake as I tried to spread it.
I took Divinemom's advice and used more chocolate chips. It worked out just fine. Also, instead of flaked coconut I used the sweetened-shredded type. This may be why the squares turned out so gooey. And that's just fine with me! These babies are great.