Prep 7 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Let's see, Mexican, Hawaiian, South American - lots of influences in this dessert. It's rich enough to serve in the winter, but cool enough to serve in the summer, so make it whenever you like. The time includes chilling time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, plus
- 2 teaspoons whipping cream
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- chocolate curls (if desired)
- Freeze 2/3 cup butter.
- Blend the frozen butter in a food processor with flour, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add the yolk, 2 tsp cream, and 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- Chill 2 hours.
- Roll into a circle and place in a chilled tart pan or cake pan (8 inch).
- Freeze crust for 15 minutes.
- Bake 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Mix 1/4 cup butter with 1/2 cup sugar.
- Boil until caramelized.
- Stir in 1/4 cup cream and 1/2 cup macadamia nuts.
- Pour into the crust and freeze.
- Heat 1/4 cup cream and pour over the chopped chocolate.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Beat the remaining 1 cup of cream with the remaining sugar (2 tbs) and vanilla (1/2 tsp).
- Fold half of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
- Spread chocolate over caramel layer.
- Top with remaining cream and garnish with chocolate curls and remaining nuts (1/4 cup).
- Chill 4 hours before serving.