Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Definitely worth the effort
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter (chilled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup egg white, plus
- 1 teaspoon egg white
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup macadamia nuts (coarsely chopped)
- Prepare crust:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Blend flour, sugar, and salt with electric mixer. Add butter; blend until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Transfer to 8x8" glass baking dish. Press mixture onto bottom and 3/4 inch up sides of dish.
- Bake 15 minutes until golden brown on edges.
- Prepare filling: Whisk togethr sugar, flour, egg whites, butter, almond extract & vanilla in large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.
- Pour filling into warm crust.
- Bake 45-50 minutes until golden brown.