Chocolate Lover's Delight Cake (Taste of Home)
- Grease and flour two 9-in round cake pans; set aside. In large bowl, beat 1 cup sugar, buttermilk, oil, egg yolks, and melted chocolate till blended. Combine flour, 1/4 tsp salt, and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture till blended.
- In large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites till soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 T. at a time, on high till stiff peaks form. Fold into the batter.
- Transfer to pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream, powdered sugar, cocoa, extract, and remaining salt till stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers; brush layers with cream de cacao. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 2 T. almonds. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle remaing almonds over the top.