This is a wonderful Chocolate Mousse cake. I got this years ago from a McCall's Cooking School recipe collection. It takes some time, but is definitely worth it! The sifting should be done before the measuring. Cooking time includes cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup egg white (7 or 8)
- 1/2 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 7 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1Make cake: In large electric mixer bowl, let whites warm to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- 2Into cocoa in small bowl, stir boiling water; stir until smooth; let cool 1/2 hour.
- 3Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 4Sift flour with sugar, soda and salt in large bowl; make well in center.
- 5Pour in oil, yolks and vanilla and cocoa.
- 6With wooden spoon, beat just until smooth.
- 7Sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites and beat on high speed.
- 8Beat until very stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
- 9Do not underbeat.
- 10Pour batter over whites.
- 11With whisk, and an under-and-over motion, gently fold to combine.
- 12Turn into ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- 13Bake 60-65 minutes, until top springs back when pressed with finger.
- 14Invert over neck of a bottle (I use a full 2-liter); cool 1-1/2 hours.
- 15With spatula, loosen cake; remove.
- 16Cool on rack.
- 17Make chocolate filling: In large bowl, combine cream, sugar, coca, vanilla, salt; refrigerate 1 hour.
- 18With mixer beat until stiff; refrigerate.
- 19Sprinkle gelatin over 2 tbsp cold water to soften.
- 20Heat, stirring, over hot water to dissolve; cool.
- 21Prepare cake: Cut 1-inch slice crosswise from top of cake (I use a long string of dental floss to cut); set aside.
- 22With a sharp knife, outline a cavity in cake, leaving 1-inch thick walls around center, side and bottom.
- 23With spoon carefully remove cake from this area.
- 24Reserve 1-1/2 cups of the crumbled cake you just removed.
- 25Measure 2 1/2 cups chocolate filling into small bowl; fold in gelatin.
- 26Use to fill cavity.
- 27Replace top.
- 28Mix 1/2 cup filling with reserved crumbled cake.
- 29Use to fill center hole.
- 30Frost top and side of cake with remaining filling.
- 31Refrigerate until serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Lover's Chiffon Cake
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 593.1
- Calories from Fat 313
- Total Fat 34.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 191.6 mg
- Sodium 463.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 44.4 g
- Protein 8.4 g