Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Recipe from Donna Moodie, Marjorie. This is a no-bake recipe so it is a good choice for your more precious pot de creme cups and also a time saver. Four hours of refrigeration time is cook time.
- 8 ounces chocolate (we suggest Scharffen Berger)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 -2 ounce kaffir lime leaf
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop chocolate into small pieces to make it easier to melt. The quality of the dessert depends on the quality of the chocolate you use.
- Chop Kaffir lime leaves into small pieces.
- Place half of the lime leaves in a saucepan with the heavy cream. Warm over low heat.
- Place the other half of the lime leaves in the top of a double boiler with the chocolate. Cover with plastic and melt the chocolate.
- Mix egg yolks with sugar and salt. Temper the yolks with the warm cream, adding 1/4 cup to the yolks. Mix well, then pour the yolks into the saucepan with the cream.
- Stir continuously over a low heat so you don't "cook" the eggs. Cook for 20 minutes until the mixture becomes a custard-like texture and clings to the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add the melted chocolate to the saucepan. Stir until all the chunks of chocolate disappear and mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer to remove the lime leaves. Pour into pot de creme cups or small ramekins. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours or freeze for 1 hour. Top with whipped cream.