Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
From "perfect endings"
Make and share this Chocolate Lebkuchen recipe from Food.com.
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seed, finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup candied fruit, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, cloves, seeds, baking soda and powder together and set aside.
- Bring sugar, honey and water to boil in saucepan over moderate heat.
- Stir the chocolate, walnuts, fruit, eggs, and orange juice into honey mixture until blended.
- Blend the flour mixture in gradually.
- Store dough in tightly covered dish, at room temperature, for 3 days, to ripen.
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Spread dough in greased 15" x 10" X 1" pan and bake at 325 F for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool. Wrap in foil and store till ready to use. (This keeps very well for weeks and improves in flavor on storing).
- When ready to use, unwrap, and sust with confectioners' sugar. Cut in 3" x 1" bars.