1/1 Photo of Chocolate Layer Cake With Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
1 hr 10 mins
Excellent chocolate cake to use for birthdays. The coffee adds a nice depth of flavor. From Gale Gand, Butter Sugar Flour Eggs, Food Network.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 3 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups hot coffee
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans. Cut 3 circles of waxed paper or parchment paper to fit the bottoms of the pans, then press them in .
- 3In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), cream the butter until smooth.
- 4Add the sugar and eggs and mix until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 5Add the vanilla, cocoa, baking soda and salt and mix.
- 6Add 1/2 of the flour, then 1/2 of the sour cream and mix. Repeat with the remaining flour and sour cream.
- 7Drizzle in the hot coffee and mix until smooth. The batter will be thin.
- 8Pour into the prepared pans and bake until the tops are firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (a few crumbs are okay), about 35 minutes. Halfway through the baking, quickly rotate the pans in the oven to ensure even baking, but otherwise try not to open the oven.
- 9Let cool in the pan 10 minutes.
- 10Turn out onto wire racks and let cool completely before frosting.
- 12In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- 13Drizzle in the melted chocolate and mix. Add the coffee and vanilla and mix.
- 14Add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Mix until well blended and fluffy.
- 15To frost the cake, use a spatula to cover 2 of the cake layers with frosting. Stack them together.
- 16Flip the third cake layer over and rest it on the top to create a very flat top for the cake. Frost on the sides and top.
- 17Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Layer Cake With Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1092.8
- Calories from Fat 487
- Total Fat 54.2 g
- Saturated Fat 33.3 g
- Cholesterol 184.3 mg
- Sodium 591.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 151.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 112.5 g
- Protein 12.3 g