Recipe by CrashCurran
An irresistible chocolate cake...slice up some fresh strawberry for garnish and you've got a cake that just can't be beat!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped, melted and cooled
- 5 -8 strawberries, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Chocolate Cake:
- Grease two 8-inch (2L) springform pans or grease two 8-inch (1.2 L) round metal cake pans and line bottoms with parchment or waxed paper. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time; beat in vanilla.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With wooden spoon, stir into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of buttermilk.
- Spoon into prepared pans, smoothing tops.
- Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let cool on racks for 20 minutes. Remove from pans; let cool completely on racks.
- (Make-ahead: Wrap layers separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day or overwrap with heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.)
- Cut each cake horizontally into 2 layers.
- Chocolate Icing:.
- In bowl, beat butter until fluffy; gradually beat in cream.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Beat in icing sugar, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time.
- Beat in melted chocolate until fluffy and smooth.
- Place 1 layer, cut side up, on cake plate. Slide strips of waxed paper between cake and plate.
- Spread cut side with about 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the icing; cover with remaining half, cut side down.
- Spread top with another 3/4 cup (75 mL) of the icing.
- Repeat with remaining layers, spreading remaining icing over side and top.
- Garnish with fresh sliced Strawberries (optional).
- Remove paper strips. (Make ahead: Cover loosely and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Let come to room temperature before serving.).