1/1 Photo of Chocolate Layer Cake
1 hr 30 mins
An irresistible chocolate cake...slice up some fresh strawberry for garnish and you've got a cake that just can't be beat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped, melted and cooled
- 5 -8 strawberries, sliced
- 1Chocolate Cake:
- 2Grease two 8-inch (2L) springform pans or grease two 8-inch (1.2 L) round metal cake pans and line bottoms with parchment or waxed paper. Set aside.
- 3In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- 4Beat in eggs, 1 at a time; beat in vanilla.
- 5In separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 6With wooden spoon, stir into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of buttermilk.
- 7Spoon into prepared pans, smoothing tops.
- 8Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- 9Let cool on racks for 20 minutes. Remove from pans; let cool completely on racks.
- 10(Make-ahead: Wrap layers separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day or overwrap with heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.)
- 11Cut each cake horizontally into 2 layers.
- 12Chocolate Icing:.
- 13In bowl, beat butter until fluffy; gradually beat in cream.
- 14Beat in vanilla.
- 15Beat in icing sugar, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time.
- 16Beat in melted chocolate until fluffy and smooth.
- 17Place 1 layer, cut side up, on cake plate. Slide strips of waxed paper between cake and plate.
- 18Spread cut side with about 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the icing; cover with remaining half, cut side down.
- 19Spread top with another 3/4 cup (75 mL) of the icing.
- 20Repeat with remaining layers, spreading remaining icing over side and top.
- 21Garnish with fresh sliced Strawberries (optional).
- 22Remove paper strips. (Make ahead: Cover loosely and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Let come to room temperature before serving.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 772.2
- Calories from Fat 461
- Total Fat 51.2 g
- Saturated Fat 31.9 g
- Cholesterol 151.7 mg
- Sodium 348.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 56.5 g
- Protein 7.3 g