Recipe by Dawn
A flourless chocolate mini cake with a gooey chocolaty center. This concoction is topped of with pistachio butter. This is a Cooking Light recipe and the cake itself has only 7.7 grams of fat! The cakes need to chill for 2 hours before baking.
- 1 cup shelled dry roasted pistachios
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar (divided)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 large eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (coarsely chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Chocolate Lava Cakes: Spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Place pistachios in a food processor and process until a crumbly paste forms.
- This will create pistachio butter.
- Combine 1/4 cup of pistachio butter,1 1/4 cup sugar (you'll have 1/2 cup left over),cocoa, eggs, egg whites and place in a double boiler or heavy sauce pan.
- Stir well with a whisk and add bittersweet chocolate.
- Cook over low heat or simmering water until chocolate melts and sugar dissolves@ 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add baking powder and vanilla.
- Stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and chill for 2 hours.
- Pistachio Butter: Prepare pistachio butter while cakes are chilling.
- Place remaining 1/4 cup of pistachio butter and 1/2 cup sugar in a food processor.
- Pulse 3-4 times.
- Add milk and salt and process until smooth.
- Strain solids out of mixture into a small sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for@ 4 minutes.
- Chill pistachio butter while cooking lava cakes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Bake cakes for 9 minutes or until almost set.
- Centers will be gooey.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Invert cake on a dessert plate and spoon pistachio butter over cake.
- May top with powdered sugar.