Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was looking for a lava cake recipe using cocoa powder, rather than prepared chocolate. I modified a recipe from Jan Kruse found at http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/mercurynews/living/columnists/homeplates/16800969.htm
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend flour, salt, baking powder, granulated sugar and two tablespoons cocoa powder in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in melted shortening and milk.
- Spread batter in a 9-inch-by-9-inch baking pan and sprinkle with brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa.
- Pour hot water over all.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- During baking, chocolate sauce will settle to bottom and cake will rise to top.
- To serve, invert cake onto plate or cut cake into squares and invert each square onto a small dessert place.
- Spoon sauce over top.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
My family loves chocolate and I lost my original recipe for lava cake. So I tried this one which also used cocoa. I have to say that this is the most bitter and nasty tasting lava cake I have ever had. I think I'm going to have to tweak this recipe and see if I can make it better so people will actually like it. Thanks for the recipe Iist I usually have good luck oh well will try again
I cannot have prepared chocolate because of a soy allergy...this recipe is perfect. Thank you so much