Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Before you try this, THIS RECIPE NEEDS EXPERIMENTATION AND TWEAKING!!!! This is the only recipe I've found for lava cakes that has a separate truffle-like recipe for the 'lava' centers instead of unbaked batter pudding in the middle. The original recipe called for 6 eggs but only mentioned 3 in the method, but based on its first review, I'm thinking 6 should be used. Another recipe I've seen called for 6 eggs -- 3 yolks and 3 full eggs added to batter initially, and then the remaining 3 yolks whipped and added to the batter just before putting into the muffin tins for baking. This would make sense, given that the recipe calls for 3 separated eggs
- 14 ounces dark semi-sweet chocolate
- 8 ounces butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 eggs, total 3 separated and at room temperature
- 3 ounces cake flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 ounces sugar
- 4 ounces dark semi-sweet chocolate
- 3 ounces heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons butter
- For lava centers: Chop chocolate into pieces and put into a metal bowl.
- Heat cream and pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Add butter and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Place mixture in fridge to cool until a frosting-like texture is reached, whisking periodically.
- With a spoon or melon-baller, make cherry-sized mounds on a cookie sheet and freeze until ready to use.
- For cake batter: Chop chocolate into pieces. Place on top of a double-boiler with butter and melt.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and 3 egg yolks. Whisk together until mixture is smooth.
- Add well-sifted flour and gently incorporate into chocolate mixture.
- Place 3 egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar into a clean bowl. Whisk until whites form soft peaks. Continue to whisk while slowly sprinkling in the sugar.
- Using a rubber spatula, carefully the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture, adding a third at a time.
- Spoon batter into large non-stick muffin tins, filling 3/4 full. (Ramekins may be used as well; butter insides and dust with cocoa first).
- Push a lava center into the center of each little cake.
- Bake at 375F for 15 minutes. DO NOT OVER-BAKE!
- Remove from oven, wait 5 minutes, then carefully unmold onto wire rack to cool.
- Serve cakes warm. If you need to reheat, simply microwave for 30 seconds.
I think the recipe creator was correct about the eggs. We made this with the 3 eggs and it was the consistency of dirt. I think using 6 eggs would probably have been better. It tastes divine, and we added whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream and it was fine.