Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a rich creamy, yet low-fat coffee flavored chocolate pudding. Delicious!
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder or 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds (optional)
- In heavy medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, cocoa and espresso powder, mix well.
- Gradually add milk, beating with wire whisk until well blended.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wire whisk, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil 1 minute, stir constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Cool slightly; pour into 6 individual dessert dishes.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, garnish with sliced almonds, if desired.
- Store in refrigerator.
Yummy, Yummy. I made a couple changes due to my taste but this would have been creamy and yummy without. I used brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon instead ov white, omitted coffee, added 1oz finely chopped bittersweet chocolate and 1 egg at the proper times. Microwaved in my biggest mixing bowl, watching closely and WOW - what a treat!
Way too much skim milk close to expiration and decided it was time to make pudding. As promised this was rich and creamy with a very decadent feel and flavor. I used just 1 tablespoon of instant espresso - in deference to guests who do not love coffee as much as I do - and thought the balance between espresso and chocolate was just right. Guessing 2 tablespoons might be too much for most. I also used 1/3 cup Splenda - adding it in along with the vanilla. (Adding it at the start often increases the chemical flavor of the sugar substitute.) In this pudding, the switch worked well because the flavors of the pudding were so strong, one did not notice the change. Thanks!