Recipe by Pumpkie
This recipe is from Sweet Maria's Italian Cookie tray cookbook. I was given this book because I have been looking for a chocolate lady finger to go with my chocolate mousse recipe.
Top Review by Glynn
I made these for an eclair cake recipe. They were a bit difficult to make, next time I might just buy them if possible. I think the suggestion to cook at a lower temp for shorter time might have helped. I didnt read the other review...if I were to try this again, I would try cooking lower temp. Thanks for the recipe.
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 1 pinch salt or 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons good quality cocoa
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks, vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until thick.
- Stir in flour, cocoa, using a rubber spatula.
- GENTLY fold egg whites into flour mixture.
- Fill a pastry bag with a plain open tip with cookie batter.
- Pipe batter onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, making 3 inch ladyfingers.
- Space cookies 1 inch apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake immediately for 10- 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven.
- Cool cookies on parchment paper.
- When cool, use a metal spatula to carefully remove ladyfingers from the parchment.
- Store cooled cookies in an airtight container to retain softness.