Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a high altitude recipe. Two of these chocolate treats are lower in calories than 1 (4-inch) graham cracker and I would much rather eat CHOCOLATE than a graham cracker! Each cookie is only 22 calories! Recipe source: shopper's newsletter
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey's)
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups five-grain cereal, flakes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spray a cookie sheet with Pam (non-stick cooking spray).
- Sift powdered sugar and cocoa together in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add granulated sugar to egg whites one tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition and continue beating until it is stiff and glossy (meringue).
- Beat in vanilla.
- Fold cocoa/sugar mixture and cereal flakes into meringue.
- Drop meringue onto cookie sheets using 2 teaspoons of meringue per cookie - one inch apart making 28 kisses.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until kisses are dry and set.
- Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes and then remove kisses to a cooling rack to continue cooling.
I slightly crushed some corn flakes to use instead of a five-grain cereal because I never did find that cereal! I liked the cocoa and I always like vanilla, but this was kind of missing something. I will try these again and adjust my rating if necessary! Made for PRMR. Thanks ellie_! :)
These kisses were very yummy and easy to make. In fact, I made them during my lunch hour. I didn't have cereal flakes, but used All Bran instead without any troubles. I ended up with 29 good sized kisses. This was my first time making meringe and they turned out perfectly!