Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
A yummy dessert with a zing
Cherry Cranberry Filling
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cherries (canned pitted tart red (in water)
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups cranberries (frozen whole unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 1 cup butter (European Style Unsalted Butter)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
Whipped Cream Filling
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Chocolate Butter Icing
- 1⁄4 cup butter (European Style Unsalted)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon milk
- Preparation of Cherry/ Cranberry filling: (Can be made a day ahead of time and refrigerated.)
- Drain cherries reserving cherry juice. Combine sugar, cornstarch and (2/3 cup) cherry juice in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Heat mixture until it comes to a full boil. Add cranberries. Let mixture simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until cranberries spilt open.
- Add cherries and Kirsch and heat just until mixture returns to a boil. Pour mixture into a covered bowl and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Preparation of Cake:
- Let butter and eggs come to room temperature (20-30 minutes). Preheat oven to 350°F
- Prepare three round 9" x 1½" cake pans; lightly butter the sides and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- Cream butter. Add sugar and cream together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture alternating with buttermilk.
- Mix until well blended but do not over mix.
- Divide batter evenly between 3 prepared pans. Bake 30 minutes or until top springs back when gently pressed and a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans to a wire rack, peel off parchment paper and cool completely before assembling cake.
- Preparation of the Whipped Cream filling: (prepare just before the cake is to be assembled.)
- Combine gelatin and Kirsch in a small custard cup and let stand about 5 minutes to soften the gelatin.
- Place the custard cup in a small pan of warm water and gently heat mixture over low heat, stirring until the gelatin has completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat. Beat the cream in a chilled bowl until it holds soft peaks. Add powdered sugar and beat until it holds stiff peaks. Add in the gelatin mixture gradually beating until the mixture holds stiff peaks.
- Preparation of Chocolate Icing: (Prepare after the rest of the cake is assembled and use immediately.)
- Cream butter. Whisk together sugar and cocoa. Add sugar mixture alternating with Kirsch.
- Beat mixture until fluffy adding only enough milk to make a thick spread-able icing.
- Assembling the cake:
- Place one layer, bottom side up, on a platter.
- Spoon half the cherry/berry mixture onto the layer and allow the layer to absorb the syrup. Then cover with half the whipped cream mixture.
- Place the second layer, also bottom side up, on top of the first layer. Cover with remaining cherry/ berry mixture (reserving about 5 cherries for garnishing the top of the cake.)
- Top with the remaining whipped cream mixture.
- Add third cake layer. Spread chocolate butter icing in the top of the third layer. Garnish with reserved cherries.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.