Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The chocolate aroma of this cake is exquisitely intoxicating. Make it once and it will become your signature dessert. Note: Be sure that the melted chocolate and whipped topping are both at room temperature as directed before combining. Otherwise, the chocolate will seize and be difficult or impossible to mix.
- 3 (8 ounce) cartons frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (19 7/8 ounce) box dark chocolate brownie mix
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 10 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) package milk chocolate chips, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove whipped topping from refrigerator and allow it to reach room temperature. Coat bottom of 9"x3" springform pan with cooking spray. Prepare brownie mix according to package directions for cake-like brownies; stir in cinnamon and pour into springform pan. Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Set aside to cool. In microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup of Kahlua (may substitute brewed coffee). Let stand 5 minutes or until gelatin is softened; microwave at highest setting in 10-second intervals until gelatin is dissolved and mixture is clear. Return 1 cup of the whipped topping to refrigerator. In large bowl, gently stir together all remaining *room temperature whipped topping and the melted *room temperature chocolate until blended; stir in gelatin mixture to form mousse and spread over cooled brownie layer in springform pan. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Stir remaining 2 tablespoons Kahlua (or brewed coffee) into reserved cup of whipped topping and spread over chilled mousse layer. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the semi-sweet chocolate into curls, allowing them to drop onto top of cake. Remove sides of springform pan. Serve chilled.