Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Chocolate Mousse with a twist
- In a medium bowl beat with mixer egg yolks and sugar until thick and a pale lemon color.
- Beat in cocoa.
- Place bowl over saucepan of gently simmering water.
- Beat 5-minutes or until mixture darkens and beaters leave a trail.
- Remove from heat and stir in liqueur, set aside.
- In a separate bowl whip cream until it holds stiff peaks.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the whipped cream into cocoa mixture to lighten it.
- Gently fold remaining whipped cream into cocoa mixture until well combined.
- Divide among 6 small decorative ramekin dishes.
- Chill 1-2 hours before serving.
ok, call me stupid, but I am not a stranger to the kitchen, nor am I a horrible cook who cant follow a recipe, but this just didn't work out right for me (so far) still waiting for the chilling period to end to see if it taste ok... the mixing of the first two ingredients was a total disaster. It clumped up and seemed to be a dry paste that would not smooth out even over simmering pot of water. So when I finished the mixing of all ingredients, and put in a pastry bag to squeeze into cordial cups, big hunks of chocolate plugged up the bag and would squirt out in clumps, it was horrible. Nothing like spooning clumps of chocolate out of your mousse..ughh... Not impressed, sorry!
I am an avid baker, and this also turned out absolutely horribly for me. The directions say to beat the mixture over the simmering water for 5 minutes, until the beaters leave a trail. But my mixture turned into a huge, stiff blob EVEN BEFORE I put it over the simmering water-- as soon as I added the cocoa. I put it over the water and could barely stir it, let alone beat it. But I tried the mixer, because I knew stirring would get me no where. It was awful. It IS awful. It's almost solid. I just had to wrestle with it to get it off of my beaters.
WOW yes yes yes, yummy, found it a lot of work beating it over a basin, but it was definitely worth the trouble, it was my first ever choc mousse, and is it a good one, my kids are tucking into it right now, would make two lots next time as the serves were very small and only did three serves. I had no Kahlua but put in Baileys irish Cream instead. Awesome recipe.