Recipe by Sue Lau
Dark and decadent. A great dessert.
Top Review by KitchenManiac
Oh mama! This is a great cake. The icing was just fantastic. Please do try it WITH the icing. It makes a world of a difference. I did end up adding 4 tablespoon of kahlua in the icing instead of three. One thing though...I felt that I couldn't really taste the kahlua in the cake (sponge) part. Maybe I might add more kahlua the next time. AA here I come :). Thanks Sue!
For the Cake
- 3 eggs, separated
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml butter
- 236.59 ml light brown sugar, packed
- 532.32 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 177.44 ml cold coffee
- 177.44 ml Kahlua
For the Frosting
- 88.74 ml butter
- 453.59 g package confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 44.37 ml unsweetened cocoa
- 44.37 ml Kahlua
- 29.58-44.37 ml hot coffee
- chocolate (for shaving; optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites until frothy; then add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy; add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift flour, cocoa, and baking soda together in a separate bowl; add to creamed mixture alternatively with coffee and Kahlua, blending well.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until done; cool 10 minutes; invert on wire rack; remove pans.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare frosting, cream butter and confectioners sugar in a large bowl.
- Add cocoa, Kahlua, and coffee, beating until smooth.
- Spread frosting on cake; garnish cake with shaved chocolate, if desired.