Recipe by Sue Lau
Dark and decadent. A great dessert.
Top Review by KitchenManiac
Oh mama! This is a great cake. The icing was just fantastic. Please do try it WITH the icing. It makes a world of a difference. I did end up adding 4 tablespoon of kahlua in the icing instead of three. One thing though...I felt that I couldn't really taste the kahlua in the cake (sponge) part. Maybe I might add more kahlua the next time. AA here I come :). Thanks Sue!
For the Cake
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup cold coffee
- 3⁄4 cup Kahlua
For the Frosting
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua
- 2 -3 tablespoons hot coffee
- chocolate (for shaving; optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites until frothy; then add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy; add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift flour, cocoa, and baking soda together in a separate bowl; add to creamed mixture alternatively with coffee and Kahlua, blending well.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until done; cool 10 minutes; invert on wire rack; remove pans.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare frosting, cream butter and confectioners sugar in a large bowl.
- Add cocoa, Kahlua, and coffee, beating until smooth.
- Spread frosting on cake; garnish cake with shaved chocolate, if desired.