Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a very chocolatly bread pudding with a taste of kahlua. Serve this warm treat with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. The recipe comes from Hometown Recipes. Note:Can be made with splenda. Rest time not included in prep time.
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua or 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups cubed stale bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch (6 cup) loaf pan.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips (in microwave) and set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, melted chocolate and Kahlua in a large bowl.
- Stir in milk: add bread cubes and let rest for 30 minutes; stirring occasionally to make sure the bread is evenly soaked.
- Ladle half of the mixture into loaf pan, Spread remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Add the remaining mixture; Bake for about 55 minutes or until the center is set, cool, ENJOY.
Loved this! Used Tia Maria instead of brandy and a very scant amount of sugar. I also threw in some walnuts and omitted the chocolate chips in the middle (using just 1 cup, melted). Placed the bread cubes directly into the loaf pan and poured the mixture over top, that way, I just had to take the loaf pan right into the oven (no spilling or losses). Next time I'll omit the spices and use orange zest instead.
This was an excellent way to use the leftover baguettes I had! I tore them into chunks rather than cutting them up, and I added pecans to the chocolate chips, sprinkling a few of each on top as well before baking. It turned out beautifully, and my boss LOVED it!
Ohhhhh Barb, this one is REALLY good! I used Kahlua in mine and added chopped walnuts for a little added crunch. This won my heart with the first bite. So comforting and deliciously chocolate, which I was craving. This did the trick! I had with a big ole scoop of Vanilla ice cream and I enjoyed every mouthful! Yummy!