From Sweet Auburn Desserts by Chef Sonya Jones. This recipe only uses half of the coconut-pecan filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, for dusting towel
- 1To make the frosting, whisk the egg yolks, milk, and vanilla in a large saucepan until blended. Add the sugar and butter and cook over medium heat for 12 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick and golden brown. Remove from the heat and mix in the coconut and pecans. Allow the frosting to cool to room temperature.
- 2Make the Cake: Line a 15 x 10 1-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- 3In a mixing bowl, beat the baking powder; salt, eggs, and sugar until it forms a thick lemon-colored batter.
- 4In a separate bowl, combine the flour and cocoa and fold into the egg mixture. Stir in the vanilla.
- 5Spread the batter in a jelly roll pan and bake at 400 degrees F for 12 minutes, or until the center of the dough springs back when touched. Remove from the oven and trim the crust from the edges.
- 6Dust a towel or cloth with the powdered sugar and turn the cake out onto the towel. Peel off the parchment paper.
- 7Spread the coconut-pecan filling onto one side of the cake, roll the cake, and cover it with the towel. Place on a wire rack, seam side down, and allow it to cool.
- 8Remove the cloth and transfer the roll to a serving plate, seam side down. Dust the roll with cocoa and slice diagonally to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Jelly Roll With Coconut-Pecan Filling
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 661.8
- Calories from Fat 344
- Total Fat 38.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 187.3 mg
- Sodium 320.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 60.7 g
- Protein 9.1 g