Prep 25 mins
Cook 12 mins
A friend gave this recipe to my a long time ago and I have really enjoyed making it. You can always make it in advance and store in the freezer without filling. When you want to serve it, take it out and fill with your favorite filling, like ice cream.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa, sifted
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare a large cookie sheet with lining it with wax paper.
- Mix together sugar, whole eggs and water.
- Beat in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into prepared cookie sheet and bake at 375 degF for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn out onto a clean, moist teatowel springled with icing sugar.
- Quickly remove the wax paper and trim off crisp edges.
- While still warm, roll cake into tea towel into a roll, rolling the towel with the cake.
- When cool, unroll the cake carefully and spread with jelly, or ice cream or your favorite filling. Roll up again. If using ice cream, store in the freezer until ready to serve. Slice into serving pieces.
Great recipe, exactly what I needed. Although next time when I roll it up in the tea towel I might put some more icing sugar, or some corn starch or something on the towel. The cake stuck to the towel really badly. It cooked up perfectly though, I didn't even need to trim any edges. I filled it with raspberry jam and whipped chocolate ganache and then covered it with more ganache. It was amazing.