Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Yes it is chocolate jello! This recipe is from the Chocolate Bar cookbook. I made this for my best friend and I it was a bad week for both of us and what's more fun that Jello, well a grown up Jello is. You can serve it with the espresso sauce or without. Cooking time includes chill time.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder, I'm sure if you don't have the granules you could use instant coffee granules
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons gelatin powder
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- Prepare the sauce:.
- With a whisk, whip the yolk and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a bowl until well combined.
- In a heavy non stick saucepan, mix together the milk, remaining sugar, and espresso granules and bring to a boil.
- Pour one-third of the milk mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly. Return the egg yolk mixture to the pan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pour through a mesh strainer and cool to room temperature, then cover and chill.
- Prepare the gelatin:.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water into a medium bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top.
- In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of water, heavy cream, sugar, and cocoa powder and bring just to a boil, stirring gently (the mixture will thicken and rise when it boils).
- Remove from heat and pour into the gelatin mixture, gently stirring to combine.
- Cool to room temperature and divide evenly into cups about 1/2 cup into each.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours or until set and cool.
- You can serve this dessert directly from the cups or unmold it. If you choose to unmold the gelatin, grease the inside of the cups with vegetable oil before pouring the gelatin mixture inches To unmold, run a sharp knife against the sides of the mold to gently separate the filling. Invert a serving plate on top of the cup and invert both the plate and cup in one motion. Shake slightly to loosen if necessary and unmold. It may take a few tries and patience.
- Spoon chilled espresso sauce right over the dessert in the cup or around the unmolded gelatin.