3 hrs 30 mins
Yes it is chocolate jello! This recipe is from the Chocolate Bar cookbook. I made this for my best friend and I it was a bad week for both of us and what's more fun that Jello, well a grown up Jello is. You can serve it with the espresso sauce or without. Cooking time includes chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder, I'm sure if you don't have the granules you could use instant coffee granules
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1Prepare the sauce:.
- 2With a whisk, whip the yolk and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a bowl until well combined.
- 3In a heavy non stick saucepan, mix together the milk, remaining sugar, and espresso granules and bring to a boil.
- 4Pour one-third of the milk mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly. Return the egg yolk mixture to the pan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- 5Pour through a mesh strainer and cool to room temperature, then cover and chill.
- 6Prepare the gelatin:.
- 7Pour 1/2 cup of water into a medium bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top.
- 8In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of water, heavy cream, sugar, and cocoa powder and bring just to a boil, stirring gently (the mixture will thicken and rise when it boils).
- 9Remove from heat and pour into the gelatin mixture, gently stirring to combine.
- 10Cool to room temperature and divide evenly into cups about 1/2 cup into each.
- 11Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours or until set and cool.
- 12You can serve this dessert directly from the cups or unmold it. If you choose to unmold the gelatin, grease the inside of the cups with vegetable oil before pouring the gelatin mixture inches To unmold, run a sharp knife against the sides of the mold to gently separate the filling. Invert a serving plate on top of the cup and invert both the plate and cup in one motion. Shake slightly to loosen if necessary and unmold. It may take a few tries and patience.
- 13Spoon chilled espresso sauce right over the dessert in the cup or around the unmolded gelatin.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Jello With Espresso Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.3
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 152.0 mg
- Sodium 43.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 23.1 g
- Protein 5.8 g