Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
You have to try this. Mix a bit of that "coffee-flavored liqueur" into the frosting you choose.
- 3 (3 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup strong black coffee or 1⁄2 cup espresso
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour, sifted
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 8 inch cake pans and dust with flour.
- In the top of a double boiler, over hot, not boiling, water, melt the chocolate with the coffee and brown sugar, cool and add liqueur.
- With an electric mixer, combine the butter and granulated sugar, beating until light. Beat in eggs, then the chocolate mixture. Add dry ingredients to batter gradually, alternating with milk, until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into cake pans and bake on middle rack for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool before removing from pans.
- Spread your favorite chocolate icing and perhaps garnish with chocolate covered coffee beans.
I am so sorry - my mistake - this didn't turn out well. The cake, after 25 minutes, still wasn't baked and it hadn't risen at all. I think my baking powder is "dead" or I must have missed a step... I will try it again soon - because I must have done something wrong... So I'm not rating for the moment...