Recipe by JackieOhNo!
Not for the kiddies! This reminds me very much of the Bacardi rum cake that I make during the holidays.
Top Review by Annacia
WOW, this cake isn't a shy violet but it sure is yummy, it was made early this morning (I got up at 4am and decided to do something constructive). After about 4 hrs in the fridge I just couldn't resist a taste test, purely for the purpose of reviewing you understand..lol. I used Jamison's Irish and I think this isn't going to last long at all. Lots of rich flavor that will appeal to the adult palate. I swapped Splenda for the sugar and used a sugar free pudding and just went for the rest. Made for ZWT 8 :D
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3⁄4 cup Irish whiskey (divided) or 3⁄4 cup Bourbon (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 4 jumbo eggs (at room temperature) or 4 extra-large eggs (at room temperature)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- whipped cream (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, 1/2 cup Irish whiskey, and oil. Add eggs and beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 4 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Spoon into greased and floured 10-inch Bundt or tube pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 45 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. When cake is almost done, prepare syrup. Combine sugar, butter, water, and lemon juice in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil slowly, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1/4 cup Irish whiskey.
- Turn cake out onto two large sheets of aluminum foil placed together to form the shape of a cross. Let cake cool for 10 minutes, top side up for tube cake and upside down for Bundt cake. Using a skewer, make holes all over top and sides of hot cake. Drizzle syrup very slowly over cake, being careful that too much does not run into any cracks on top of cake. Bring foil up around cake and wrap securely.
- Cake may be served when completely cool, or store in an airtight container overnight. Cake may be wrapped securely in foil and stored in the refrigerator for several weeks or in a freezer for up to six months. Serve with whipped cream.