Recipe by Mirj
The In-Betweens refer to the filling, but in our house it refers to meals, my Dornettes are always nabbing one of these in-between!
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
REALLY REALLY GOOD, MOM! I made the coffee in-betweens. When my dad had the first bite he exclaimed, "Tasty it is!" :-) And then he asked for another and another and oh well, soon there were hardly any left;-) Please note: Since my brown sugar had gone very hard, I grated it(good exercise- thank you!) by hand and then added it to the remaining ingredients. I substituted the butter with cold (refrigerated) margarine. This is very much like a chocolate barfi in appearance. Infact, dad thought I was offering him some barfi. LOL. I can't wait to try this with chocolate chips. Thank you very very much for a tasty in-between.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, chilled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3⁄4-1 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (vary according to your preference)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, mix the flour, salt, and butter.
- Stop when everything is blended into a fine meal (but before it forms a ball).
- Add in the brown sugar.
- Add the oatmeal, and pulse it to integrate.
- (Don't over-mix or the oats will get too chopped up.) Press about half the mixture into the bottom of a greased 9"x13" to 11"x14" pan.
- Reserve the other half.
- In a saucepan, combine the condensed milk and chocolate chips, and heat the mixture (on low heat), mixing constantly, until the chips are fully melted and integrated.
- Pour over the crust in the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining dough over the top, coating it as evenly as possible, and then lightly press it (without letting the chocolate ooze up).
- Bake until lightly brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Coffee In-Betweens: Omit the chocolate chips, and instead use four cups of strong coffee, boiled down to 1/2 cup or less of liquid.
- Fruit In-Betweens: Omit the chocolate chips and condensed milk, and instead spread a layer of your favorite flavor of preserves in between the oatmeal cookie layers.
- (My personal favorite is blackberry.).