Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Yummy, delicious, and just beautiful garnished with whipped cream and some fresh strawberries or raspberries. Easily prepared the day before. From the Southern Chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 18 ladyfingers (or pound cake cut into strips)
- 20 marshmallows
- 1 ounce bitter chocolate (1 square)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Line sides and bottom of loaf pan with split ladyfingers, curved sides against the pan.
- Prepare filling by steaming marshmallows and chocolate with milk and salt in the top of a double boiler until the mixture is soft; blend thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and chill.
- When cold, combine with whipped cream.
- Arrange alternate layers of split ladyfingers and chocolate mixture in the loaf pan.
- Chill for six hours or more.
- Turn out onto a chilled plate.
- Serve with additional whipped cream, if desired.