Recipe by evelyn/athens
From Confident Cooking. Does not include freezer or churning time.
Top Review by Akittennamedrachel
YUM! Haven't tried a custard style ice cream until this one, but after reading many indications that it created a silkier ice cream, I decided to try this. SO GLAD I DID! Used Ghiradeli 60% bittersweet chips and a little more milk (maybe a half cup or so)
- 3 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 8 ounces best-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 6 egg yolks, beaten lightly
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cream, milk, sugar and chocolate into the top of a double-boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir over medium heat until chocolate has melted and sugar has dissolved; remove from heat; cool slightly; whisk in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and follow manufacturers instructions to make ice cream.