Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from Diabetic Living Daily.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ounce unflavored gelatin, envelope
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa powder, and gelatin. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture just starts to boil. Remove from heat. Whisk about 1 cup of the hot mixture into beaten eggs; return all to saucepan. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 175°F and mixture coats the back of a clean metal spoon. Do not boil. Stir in vanilla. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours. (Mixture will be thicker after chilling.).
- Transfer the mixture to a 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. If desired, ripen.
- Chocolate-Almond Ice Cream: Prepare as directed, except stir in 3/4 cup chopped slivered almonds, toasted, before ripening.