Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Real Simple Magazine October 2004
Make and share this Chocolate Ice Box Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 lb German sweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ladyfingers, split in half
- In a medium saucepan, over low heat, stir together the chocolate, butter, and water until melted.
- Slightly beat the egg yolks and add to the chocolate, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool.
- While the chocolate custard is cooling, beat the egg whites until stiff; set aside.
- Gradually stir the sugar into the chocolate mixture. Beat until well combined. Stir in the vanilla and fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Line the sides of a 9- or 10-inch deep-dish pie plate or springform pan with the ladyfingers, trimming them to fit, if necessary. Spoon the chocolate mixture into the pie plate or pan and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.