Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
About half as sweet and slightly chunky, this is Nutella for grownups. Use the best quality cocoa powder you can find; Valhrona is excellent. Adapted from a recipe by Lucy Baker at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/gbXilj
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or other neutral oil)
- Preheat oven to 375°F Spread nuts on baking sheet and bake 10-15 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant. Transfer nuts to clean kitchen towels and rub until most of the skins are removed.
- Transfer nuts to food processor and grind into a smooth paste, about 5 minutes. Add sugar, cocoa and salt and process until combined.
- With processor running, slowly pour oil into work bowl through feed tube until fully incorporated. Transfer to storage jars. Keeps about 1 month in refrigerator.