Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
Semifreddo is an decadent ice-cream like dessert. Its very easy to prepare, and very rich! If you love chocolate, give this one a try. Prep time does not include initial 1 hour freeze time or the overnight freezing time.
- 1 (13 ounce) jar chocolate hazelnut spread (like Nutella)
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons chocolate syrup (home made or store bought)
- fresh strawberries (for garnish)
- Line 8x4 inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, extending the wrap at the sides and ends of the pan.
- In a bowl, mix hazelnut spread and melted chocolate.
- In a second bowl, beat cream just until stiff peaks form.
- Stir a large spoonful of whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
- Fold the remaining cream into the chocolate mixture, half at a time (mixture will not be uniformly blended).
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Freeze for 1 hour.
- Remove from freezer and cover top with plastic wrap, and freeze overnight until firm.
- To serve: remove plastic wrap from top and invert semifreddo on to a platter.
- Remove remaining plastic wrap.
- Let stand a few minutes at room temperature (not more than 10) to soften slightly.
- Cut into 1-inch thick slices and place on plates, drizzle each serving with 1 Tablespoon of chocolate sauce and garnish with a few fresh strawberries.
- Serve immediately.
I tried it yesterday and it turned out awesome. Creamy and rich, it tastes just like a good chocolate ice-cream. I made the mistake of trying to substitute the heavy cream with half and half at first, trying to cut down the fat, but it simply wouldn't foam. So it is important not to use substitution.
WOW!!! This was wonderful for something so easy, especially if you're a Nutella fan! Decadent but not too sweet. Just served it with a drizzle of chocolate sauce. I think it would be really great with strawberries or kiwis. Great dessert to impress dinner guests. Thanks Dee!