Recipe by ~Savannah~
Hazelnuts, Coffee and Chocolate!! what a perfect combination! These cookies do take a little long to make, only because of all the steps, but are definitely worth every minute of it!! Are great for weddings! and other special occasions.
- 3 ounces butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut
- 2 ounces roasted hazelnuts
- 1⁄2 cup jam, of your choice (I use apricot)
- 6 ounces chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy.
- Add coffee powder, which has been dissolved in the hot water, and egg yolks, beat well.
- Fold in sifted flour, mix to a firm dough, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry on lightly floured board to 5mm (1/4") thickness.
- Cut into rounds with 5cm (2") fluted cutter.
- Place pastry bases on lightly greased trays.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, gradually add sugar, beat until sugar is almost dissolved, about 8 minutes.
- Add vanilla and coconut and finely chopped hazelnuts.
- Spoon mixture into piping bag fitted with 1cm (1/2") tube.
- Pipe mixture around edge of biscuit, leaving a small hole in center.
- Spoon about 1/2 tsp jam into center of each biscuit.
- Bake at 375F for about 5 minutes, reduce heat to 350F and bake for a further 10 minutes or until topping is firm.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Place chopped chocolate in top part of double saucepan over simmering water, stir until chocolate is melted.
- When biscuits are cold, dip tops into chocolate, allow to set.