Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Courtesy of Chef Andrea Curto-Randazzo.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, finely ground
- 7 egg yolks, divided
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 7 -8 tablespoons cold water
- 3⁄4 cup milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon milk, divided
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Frangelico
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg white, beaten stiff
- whipped cream (to garnish) (optional)
- Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, hazelnuts, 3 egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, butter and water in bowl of food processor. Pulse (or, alternatively, mix with paddle attachment of mixer) until dough forms a ball.
- Shape into disk, wrap and refrigerate.
- Beat 3 egg yolks with 1/3 cup sugar until light.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons flour, 3/4 cup milk and cream.
- Cook mixture in double boiler, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Stir chocolate and Frangelico into the mixture in double boiler until chocolate melts. COOL.
- Combine with Ricotta and pinch of salt. Fold in the beaten egg white. Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes.
- FINAL ASSEMBLY:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch pie pan.
- Roll out 3/4 of the dough into a circle and line the pie pan with an overlap.
- Pour in filling.
- Roll out remaining dough and cover pie.
- Press overlap of bottom and top crusts together.
- Crimp edges with fingers or fork.
- Beat remaining egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of milk and brush top of pie with mixture.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool pie and cut in 12 wedges to serve. Top wedges with whipped cream, if desired.